Sunday, January 17, 2010

Letter to Youth in Our Ward


Hello Little Chillins.
Hows it goin?
This is Elder Michael Johnson Serving in the South Africa Johannesburg Mission.
Well, I just wanted to send a little message to you all. The topic of this message is About Testimony. First I'll say a little bit about mine. Then I'll give you some tips of how to build yours.
First and Foremost. I know that the church is true. I know that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of god. I know without a doubt, that the book of mormon is the word of god and because of that book I know that Jesus Christ is the Son Of God, the savior of the world and that he loves you and me.
Now many of you I'm sure, are a bit unsure regarding your testimonies of the gospel. Guess what.... That is NORMAL. But how will you be able to build a testimony of the gospel unless.... you try it out yourself. Here are a few suggestions that i have that will help your testimony of the gospel. IF you do these things, i promise that you WILL come to know that these things are true!
So.... here they are:
1. Pray. EVERY DAY.
Prayer is a conversation between you and the lord. Now if you want to know something regarding the lord, who better to ask than the lord himself? Remember it is a TWO WAY communication. Which means that just as you are talking to him, he will talk to you. The lord often answers us through the holy ghost. The holy ghost doesn't speak to our ears. but to our hearts. To find out the feelings that the holy ghost will bring to you read Galatians 5:22-23.
2. READ THE BOOK OF MORMON.... all of it!
The Book of Mormon is a very special book to me. I cannot begin to explain to you the difference that it has made in my life. It is through that book that i gained my testimony of the gospel. When i was about 16 to 17. I read the book from start to finish for the first time. Why??? Because I DIDN'T KNOW IF THESE THINGS WERE TRUE. and i WANTED TO KNOW IF IT WAS! Now if i would've only read 1 or 2 chapters i probably wouldn't have gotten my answer. But because i resolved to put the book to the test and follow the promise that is in Moroni 10:3-5. I did find out. My answer didn't come until i had read almost half the book. I still remember i was reading Alma Ch.31. As i read The holy ghost entered into my heart with such force that even to this day and probably for the rest of my life i will always remember that moment. I know without a doubt that the book of mormon is true, and you can too. Just Give it a shot!! Don't do it for me, don't do it for your parents, DO IT FOR YOU!

3. Be ACTIVE in your church meetings
I was notorious for sleeping through sacrament meeting. Just getting that out of the way. Don't worry i have repented! haha
But i'll tell you this you are only going to get out of church what you put into it. If you are active in the meetings then you will feel the spirit and you will learn something new. Trust me, i've tried it myself.

4. KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS(INCLUDING THE WORD OF WISDOM AND THE LAW OF CHASTITY)
Ok remember when you were 8 years old?? You were baptized and comfirmed a member of the church. You received the gift of the holy ghost. right?? But there were conditions(Mosiah 18) for you to have the holy ghost with you. One of those is to KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS!
So if you are trying to get an answer from the holy ghost then you need to be in the best position spiritually to feel it.
Now i know as a teenager the 2 commandments that are the hardest to keep are The word of wisdom and the law of chastity. DON'T LET SATAN HAVE HIS WAY WITH YOU. He is going to tempt you like crazy to break these commandments. Because he knows what these things will keep you from (temple marriage, missions, full activity in the church). Just keep these commandments. IF you are currently struggling with them go to the bishop. He is not there to be angry or to "call down the judgements of god upon you" he is there to HELP you. Keep these commandments. The lord will bless you and it will help you even more to know if these things are true.

The past 13 months have been the most amazing of my life. I would not want Any of you young men miss out on this opportunity simply because you didn't know if this was something you should do. So all i am asking you to do is give this a shot. And i promise you that you will know what you should do.
Young men and Young Women. Do not let anything get in the way of you and going to the temple. IT is the house of the lord. And the ordinances done there are real and eternal. they will bless your life and bring added strength to you.
Welp... Keep it real. Have Fun. But remember The Gospel is what will bring you the most happiness and fun. Things of the world are fun at the time but it doesn't last. the gospel does. Salagathe (stay well) Tot Siens(goodbye)
The Church is True.
-Elder Michael F. Johnson

No comments: